[R] How to use available.packages

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Thu Sep 13 17:16:03 CEST 2007

A Lenzo wrote:
> Hello R gurus,
>
> Until recently, I used the following commands to update R:
>
> options(CRAN = "http://cran.stat.ucla.edu")
> install.packages(CRAN.packages()[,1])
>
> But now I am told that install.packages is deprecated and that I should use
> available.packages

No, it tells you that
   'CRAN.packages' is deprecated.

Do you really want to install all packages?
If so, see ?available.packages and use that one instaed of CRAN.packages
... It is more meaningful, because there are other repositories than
CRAN around, one of them BioConductor, for example.

Uwe Ligges