[R] Passing parameters to 'optim' fn function

"José Luis Aznarte M." aznarte at ugr.es
Wed Sep 12 10:32:38 CEST 2007

    Hi again! I'm using the 'optim' method to fix the parameters of a
model. I have written the function to be minimised and another function
which returns the gradient of the error. Now my problem is that, in
order to compute that gradient, it would be extremely convenient to be
able to pass some parameters to the gradient function. I don't see how
to do it given the fixed syntax of 'optim', which does not allow for
parameters being passed to fn and gr:

 > optim(par, fn, gr = NULL, ...)

    Of course the first idea would be to "pack" the extra parameters in
the vector 'par', but in that case the extra parameters would be
optimized too.
    Does anyone have an idea on how to pass parameters to gr in optim?
Thanks for your time!