[R] install packages automatically

Vladimir Eremeev wl2776 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 09:37:04 CEST 2007

This was discussed here sometime ago.
Several variants are possible.

You can install the new version of R over the old one, in the same folder,
this preserves the installed packages. At least, this works fine for me on
Windows.

You can also store your list of packages in a simple R script and execute it
once every time you upgrade the R version.
Something like this:

install.packages(c(
"AMORE",
"ggplot2",
"rgdal",
"rgl"
[etc]
))

You can also install these packages into separate directory and add the path
to the .libPaths (please, refer to the documentation about library paths).
This can be done, for example, in system wide startup script Rprofile.site