[R] artificial data matrix with 100000 rows

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Sep 10 12:34:29 CEST 2007

    PS> On 9/9/07, kevinchang <shukai at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
    >> I tried to made the matrix with this size by either matrix() or array().
    >> However, there seems to be default limit of number for rows made. I got sort
    >> of error message from R .To be specific,
    >>
    >> m<--matrix(ncol=3,nrow=100000)
    >>
    >> error message:[ reached getOption("max.print") -- omitted 66667 rows ]]
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> a<-array(dim=c(10000,3,10))
    >>
    >> error message:reached getOption("max.print") -- omitted 6667 row(s) and 6
    >> matrix slice(s) ]

    PS> That is not an error message, I guess.

Definitely not,
thank you, Paul!

Also, they were not produced by what Kevin showed (namely assignments)
but rather when he *prints* the contents of his huge matrix /
array.

    PS> When the matrices are huge, R is unable to print them
    PS> totally on the screen, but all data are present.

Not at all "unable" !!
R protects you from accidentally overflowing your "console" with
huge amount of non-sensical output.

As the warning above mentions,
you should look at
  ? getOption
  ? options
and particularly the  'max.print'  option

Is  '' reached  getOption("max.print") ''
too difficult to read?

You *can* increase the 'max.print' option as much as you like,
and that's why I said     'not at all "unable"'   above.

Regards,
Martin

    PS> For instance,

    >> m[(nrow(m)-10):nrow(m),]