[R] How to obtain parameters of a mixture model of two lognormal distributions

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Sat Sep 8 03:12:08 CEST 2007

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007, Jacques Wagnor wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I have read that a lognormal mixture model having a pdf of the form
> f(x)=w1*f1(x)+(1-w1)*f2(x) fits most data sets quite well, where f1
> and f2 are lognormal distributions.

Whoa! There have to be a lot of qualifiers on an assertion like that!!

It will not fit these data well:

 	y <- rnorm(100)

> Any pointers on how to create a function that would produce the 5
> parameters of f(x) would be greatly appreciated.

Produce? Do you mean _estimate_ perchance?

The usual advice:

 	Read the posting guide and follow the advice there, which would
 	include trying stuff like the following...

 	?lognormal # fails but suggests help.search("lognormal")

 	help.search("lognormal") # bingo! It was 'Lognormal' I needed

 	?Lognormal # now read the help page and find dlnorm

 	RSiteSearch("fit mixture")

 	help.search("mle")

 	and so on.

And isn't a mixture of lognormals also a mixture of normals if you log
transform the data? ;-)

If so, you are almost done, thanks to the hits in RSiteSearch("fit mixture").

Chuck

p.s. if all you want is to 'fit data', try the logspline package or any of
the other density estimation tools in R or on CRAN.