[R] FW: variable format

Martin Becker martin.becker at mx.uni-saarland.de
Fri Sep 7 17:55:06 CEST 2007

Dear Cory,

I am not familiar with SAS, but is this what you are looking for?

divisionTable <- matrix(c(1, "New England",
                          2, "Middle Atlantic",
                          3, "East North Central",
                          4, "West North Central",
                          5, "South Atlantic",
                          6, "East South Central",
                          7, "West South Central",
                          8, "Mountain",
                          9, "Pacific"),
                        ncol=2, byrow=T)
a <- NULL
a$divisionOld <- c(0,1,2,3,4,5)
a$divisionNew <-
as.character(factor(a$divisionOld,levels=divisionTable[,1],labels=divisionTable[,2]))
a$divisionNew

[1] NA                   "New England"        "Middle Atlantic"
[4] "East North Central" "West North Central" "South Atlantic"

Kind regards,

  Martin