[R] Howto sort dataframe columns by colMeans

Lynn Osburn lynn.osburn at lewan.com
Tue Sep 4 22:12:52 CEST 2007

I read from external data source containing several columns.  Each column
represents value of a metric.  The columns are time series data.

I want to sort the resulting dataframe such that the column with the largest
mean is the leftmost column, descending in colMean values to the right.

I see many solutions for sorting rows based on some column characteristic,
but haven't found any discussion of sorting columns based on column
characteristics.

viz.  input data looks like this
  time   met-a    met-b    met-c
00:00    42         18          99