[R] Embedding Audio Files in Interactive Graphs

Sam Ferguson thefishfinger at ihug.com.au
Tue Sep 4 07:43:06 CEST 2007

Thanks for your reply Bruno.

No - as I said, I know how to do that - the movie15 and the
multimedia package are basically the same, and it is relatively
straightforward to get an audio file into a pdf with them. However,
real interactivity is not easily achieved in latex IMO (as it's not
its purpose). At least I'm hoping for a bit more flexibility.

R seems like a better place to do interactivity, and with the field
of information visualisation pointing out that interactivity is a
very useful element for investigation of data it seems that clicking
around graphical displays may become more and more popular in time.
In my field I'm interested in audio data, and so simple interactive
visual and auditory displays would be great. A (very useful) start
would be 5 separate waveform plots that would play their appropriate
sounds when clicked. More complex figures could plot in a 2d space
and allow selection of data points or ranges perhaps.

I love R for graphics and for Sweave though, and would like to use it
if possible - ideally it would be to produce a figure that included
the appropriate audiofiles and interactive scripts, which could then
be incorporated into a latex document \includegraphics. However, from
the deafening silence on this list it seems like I may be attempting
to push a square block through a round hole unfortunately. Seems I am
back to Matlab and handle graphics - but it won't do this properly
either.

Cheers
Sam

--