[R] sin(pi)?

Simon Blomberg s.blomberg1 at uq.edu.au
Mon Sep 3 09:01:50 CEST 2007

Umm. pi has been rounded to 6 decimal places in the second example. So
it isn't surprising that the results differ. sin(pi) is not zero, as it
also has been rounded, and you can't represent irrational numbers
exactly in a numerical form anyway. R agrees with Octave:

octave:1> sin(pi)
ans =  1.2246e-16
octave:2> sin(3.141593)
ans =  -3.4641e-07
octave:3>

To paraphrase someone else on this list: I think it is strange that you
think it is strange.

Simon.

As someone On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 16:43 +1000, Nguyen Dinh Nguyen wrote:
> Dear all,
> I found something strange when calculating sin of pi value
> sin(pi)
> [1] 1.224606e-16
>
>  pi
> [1] 3.141593
>
>  sin(3.141593)
> [1] -3.464102e-07
>
> Any help and comment should be appreciated.
> Regards
> Nguyen

Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician
Faculty of Biological and Chemical Sciences
The University of Queensland
St. Lucia Queensland 4072
Australia
Room 320 Goddard Building (8)
T: +61 7 3365 2506
email: S.Blomberg1_at_uq.edu.au

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.