[R] Input appreciated: R teaching idea + a way to improve R-wiki

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Tue Oct 23 18:37:24 CEST 2007

Tony Plate wrote:
> hadley wickham wrote:
>> On 10/23/07, Philippe Grosjean <phgrosjean at sciviews.org> wrote:

<snip>

>>> I tend to give a lot of attention to documents written by "beginners",
>>> because they are the best people to tell what is difficult and what is
>>> not in R! It is the starting motivation for the R Wiki, indeed.
>>
>> But they are simultaneously the worst people to provide good advice.
>> The wiki seems to be riddled with poor practice and "hacks" to get
>> around misunderstandings of the way R works.
>
> Is there any way on the R-Wiki for people to quickly and easily add an
> annotation indicating that they believe some particular advice is poor
> practice?  Ideally, these annotations would be easily searchable  so
> that other users could find and fix or respond to them.
>
> -- Tony Plate

Well, it is possible to define a specific emoticon for that... and
looking for the corresponding code in the search box will bring you all
these pages. It is also possible to define a plugin, for i,nstance, to
list all pages where there emoticons are located. But I doubt experts
will "loose their time" looking at the wiki to make such corrections...
and it is a pity!

Philippe