[R] Error: X11 cannot allocate additional graphics colours.

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Mon Oct 15 23:39:13 CEST 2007

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, michael watson (IAH-C) wrote:

> Thanks for the response...
> My confusion about plot stems from the fact I am plotting 82 points with 82 colours, so surely all colours get plotted?

No. That was the point of this bit:

> 	hist( mat, breaks=n )

Or if that is too obscure, try this a few times:

> mat <- matrix(rnorm(5),nc=1)
> image(mat,col=terrain.colors(5))

Usually you will see fewer than 5 colors.

Sorry about the misdirection about X-server issues, which Marc corrected.

I did not see any pointers to

 	X11( colortype = "pseudo.cube" )

which the error message was pointing you to. see ?X11 for more.

                                             Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine