[R] "continuous" boxplot?

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Oct 2 20:57:15 CEST 2007

Folks:

I found the references in the previous replies to this vexing data
visualization issue to be quite interesting and useful. I think it fair to
say that there is no single "best" way to do this -- it all depends on what
you need to learn , and probably several alternative displays will be
necessary to get the important information the data have to convey.
However,as always, this issue has been considered before, and it may be
worthwhile to at least consider an already available "standard" approach"
using shingles and a trellis-type plot. ?xyplot and ?shingle should get you
started (you probably want to shingle or bin on quantiles of y). The
canonical reference is Bill Cleveland's VISUALIZING DATA (see "coplots").

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics