[R] Problem using Tobit models in R (Testing and controlling for distributional assumptions and endogeneity)

roger koenker rkoenker at uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 28 22:14:05 CET 2007

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820

On Nov 28, 2007, at 2:45 PM, Malte Brockmann wrote:

> Dear R-Community,
>
> I am currently using Tobit models (survreg in the survival package).
>
> 1a) Does R provide a straight-forward way to test distributional
> assumptions for tobit models?
> 1b) If not: I tried to apply the Hausman-test proposed in Newey
> (1987), Journal of Econometrics, on the Tobit estimator and the
> symmetrically censored least squares estimator proposed by Powell
> (1986) (quantreg package).

This "symmetrically censored least squares estimator"  is NOT what is
computed by the quantreg package.
What is computed is the Powell quantile regression estimator.

> Unfortunately, quantreg only provides covariance matrices based on
> the bootstrap which are not positive semi-definite,

The bootstrapped covariance provided by quantreg is the usual sample
covariance matrix of the bootstrapped
realizations and is therefore necessarily positive semi-definite.
Perhaps what you meant to say was that the
difference between the two covariance matrices that you have computed
was not psd;  this could easily happen.
Nothing ensures that the Powell QR estimate is less efficient than
the usual (normal theory) tobit estimator,
indeed there are very plausible conditions under which this is not
the case.