[R] measure smoothness

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Tue Nov 27 18:21:51 CET 2007

Assuming that the data are sampled at equal intervals, you can do the
following:

A <- matrix(scan("h:/test/junk.txt"), ncol=2, by=T)  # I read your data in

# the following plots show that the 3rd set of data (in green) is smoothest
plot(A[1:11,1], A[1:11,2], type="o")
lines(A[12:22,1], A[12:22,2], type="o", col=2)
lines(A[23:33,1], A[23:33,2], type="o", col=3)

# Here are some numerical tests
# Roughly, average first-derivative
sqrt(mean(diff(A[1:11,2])^2))
sqrt(mean(diff(A[12:22,2])^2))
sqrt(mean(diff(A[23:33,2])^2))

# Roughly, average second-derivative
sqrt(mean(diff(A[1:11,2], diff=2)^2))
sqrt(mean(diff(A[12:22,2], diff=2)^2))
sqrt(mean(diff(A[23:33,2], diff=2)^2))

It is clear that the "new smoothed" data is the smoothest.

Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu