[R] Packages - a great resource, but hard to find the right one

Felix Andrews felix at nfrac.org
Tue Nov 27 09:16:19 CET 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 2:44 PM, hadley wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com> wrote:
> > As for who should do the review, I wouldn't trust so much any user as I
> > would an organization such as the JSS. If the latter is not possible, the
> > first alternative is better than nothing.
>
> Of course, it doesn't have to be one or the other, but both could be
> included.  It would be also nice to include:
>
>  *  lists of papers that cite that package (relatively difficult with
> current bibliographic data sources, but hopefully will be easier in
> the future)
>
>  * messages from the mailing lists (r-help, and announcements)
>
>  * easy access to changelogs (both human and computer generated - e.g.
> cranberries)
>
>  * links to buy or find in a local library accompanying books
>
>  * other packages produced by the same author, other packages on the same topic
>
>  * packages that dependent on this package, package that this package depends on
>
> And I'm sure there are many other things that I haven't thought of in
> 5 minutes of brainstorming.  I'd be interested in developing something
> like this, but I have to get my PhD finished first!

I agree that this kind of comparative review would be valuable. The
existing Topic Views are a good way in to a new field, and I think
these should be made more prominent if possible. I was using R for a
long time (more than a year) before I discovered them.

[[ On a side note, does the R Foundation have any money for formal
usability testing of the R website and/or software? ]]

I would like to see more information on the CRAN package web pages
that could indicate both the quality of a package, and also links to
other related packages:

1. A "Development Status" or "Status" field in the DESCRIPTION file,
such as they have on sourceforge.net projects (example:
http://sf.net/projects/filezilla) that could be one of, say,
"Unstable", "Testing", "Stable", or "Inactive".

2. A list of "tags" or "labels" (as in flickr.com, del.icio.us,
googlecode.com, etc; example http://flickr.com/photos/tags/). They
should be free-form, hyperlinked, and ideally a tag cloud would be
available.

3. Building on what Hadley suggested, hyperlinks to:
   * packages that depend on this one (a dynamically generated list?);
   * packages that this package depends on (there already, just link it);
   * related packages (designed for a similar problem), listed in a
"See Also" field?
   * packages by the same maintainer, or authors.

4. As others have suggested, a link to a relevant review or comments
page, if one exists.

Felix

--
Felix Andrews / 安福立