[R] connection diagram

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Mon Nov 26 20:11:09 CET 2007

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Manal Helal wrote:

> Dimn	Waves Tot.	Parts In Wave	Wave  No	Serial	Index	W Order	M
> Index	DepTot.	D1-Serial	D1-Index	D1-Order	D1-M
> Index	D2-Serial	D2-Index	D2-Order	D2-M Index
> 2	7	1	0	1	0	0	<0, 0>	2	2	18	0	<4, 4>	3	2	1	<2, 0>
> 2	7	2	1	2	18	0	<4, 4>	2	4	20	0	<2, 2>	5	36	1	<0, 4>

> following the tutorial on SNA, I see that I need to convert that into
> adjacency matrix to start plotting the graph, and I can not see how I
> can do that,

Into one adjacency matrix -- you probably can't.  [And, I think, probably
don't really want to do that...]

What you might be able to do is figure out what your actual actors are...
the entities that are connected to each other... and use them (just
them... or their relations...] to build your adjacency matrix.

With your matrix in hand, you will want to keep track of those other
variables... there are a lotta ways you could go about this, and there are
a lot of decisions to affect your implementation.

In the 'sna' package, look at the graph stack data structure.  [m x N x N
dimension -- an array of adjacency matrices.... which could be attributed
values rather than 0/1 boolean is-connected assertions.]

You might be best served by a series of plots, each taking into account a
different combination of your available data variables.  It almost sounds
fun, doesn't it?  :-)

Not really familiar enough with your data to make many more suggestions.
It sounds like your data structure is pretty nontrivial... maybe there are
ways you can break it down into pieces that you can manage more easily,
for your own sake?

best,

--elijah