[R] limits on the length of the name of a script file in R 2.6.0.?

Dimitri Liakhovitski ld7631 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 17:03:10 CET 2007

Hello!
I posted earlier - about my problems with R 2.6 crashing (i.e.,
telling me it needs to shut down) every time I tried to open an R
script. First, it looked like it was unhappy with my working outside
of R folder (under Program Files). But not it looks like it was not
really the problem.
Now, it opens and works when I open scripts whose names are not very
long (e.g., "Selecting cases I need.R"). But it does crash (gives me a
message that R needs to shut down) when the script I am trying to open
has a slightly longer file name (e.g, in my case:
"randforestImportanceExample with MR.r" and longer).

Is anyone aware of the limits the latest version of R imposes on
script name length? I never experienced such a problem with R 2.5.0.

Thank you!
Dimitri Liakhovitski