[R] AIC and model selection; not a R question

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Sat Nov 24 22:32:48 CET 2007

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007, Lynnette Dagenais wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if someone could help me answer a question that is bound
> to come up in my Master's defense.

Lynnette,

I expect you will get some opinions here, but you might get a better
answer from your committee.

Have you already asked the members of your committee?

If not, it would seem best to start there. In the institutions in which I
have studied and/or taught, the role of the committee member was to
educate as well as to test the candidate. Surely, committee members will
understand the details of your research better than we can. There are many
issues regarding models selection, and knowing how best to address them
does depend on the details of what you wish to accomplish that they will
know and we do not.

If you have asked, why are you asking here? Is there some difficulty or
conflict that they have posed without providing the resolution? Are some
members skeptical of model selection in general or of the particular
procedure you use? Are there procedures that you have not used that
some committee members would have favored?

HTH,

Chuck

I'm using AIC to select models and my