[R] biplot

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 20 16:12:19 CET 2007

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, S Ellison wrote:

> Also check the asp= parameter in plot.default and plot.window; this sets
> the aspect ratio so that 1 unit in x is the same physicla length as 1
> unit in y. I don;t know whether it is respeced by your particular
> biplot, though.

That's not how biplot.default() does it: rather it always plots a square
plot within the device window with axes it manages itself and which do
ensure that the scales are the same in both directions.

I don't understand the request: the two quantities plotted on a
conventional biplot are dimensionally different, so why would one want
them to have the same scale?

> On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 13:51 -0500, Weiwei Shi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am wondering how to draw biplot with the same scales on both
> plots?
>> For example, if the two plots have much different scales, generally
>> the two x-y's are scaled so that the two plots are sitting in the
>> center automatically. How to disable this?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Hi WeiWei
>
> To solve your problem you must use the options xlim, ylim in your
> biplot
>

> par(mfrow=c(2,1))
> biplot(...,xlim=c(minimun,maximun),ylim=c(minimun,maximun),...)
> biplot(...,xlim=c(minimun,maximun),ylim=c(minimun,maximun),...)

Hmm: that is two biplots, each two superimposed plots.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk