[R] Plotting Non Numeric Data

Michal Charemza m.t.charemza at warwick.ac.uk
Tue Nov 20 01:37:56 CET 2007

Hi,

Is there a way to plot non numerical data in R?

Specifically, I have an array, say with 1000 entries, where each entry
is a string of 4 characters (in any order, 24 possibilities in my
case). I would like on the y-axis all the strings that are in the
array as labels. The x-axis I would like labeled 0 to 1000. The line
is to show how the strings change as we move through the array.

(This is essentially a trace plot of a Markov Chain Monte Carlo
algorithm. I think essentially I would like an equivalent to
plot(myArray, type='l') but with discrete, finite, non-numerical
values on the y-axis)

Is this possible?

Michal.