[R] R and reading matlab compressed files

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 19 18:15:29 CET 2007

Hi.

On 11/17/07, Prof Leslie Smith <lss at cs.stir.ac.uk> wrote:
> Is there any way to read these files (standard .mat files, created by
> matlab version 7 onwards are compressed)? I know that R.matlab doesn't
> read them (it even says in the file MatlabServer.m "Matlab v7 saves
> compressed files, which is not recognized by R.matlab's readMat()" (lines
> 47-8)).

See help(readMat), which says "From Matlab v7, _compressed_ MAT
version 5 files are used by default [3]. These are not supported. Use
'save -V6' in Matlab to write a MAT file compatible with Matlab v6,
that is, to write a non-compressed MAT version 5 file. Note: Do not
mix up version numbers for the Matlab software and the Matlab file
formats."

This should do if you have access to Matlab and you're in charge of
the MAT files.

Hope this helps

Henrik