[R] alternative to logistic regression

markleeds at verizon.net markleeds at verizon.net
Fri Nov 16 16:41:18 CET 2007

>From: Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>
>Date: 2007/11/16 Fri AM 09:28:27 CST
>To: Terry Therneau <therneau at mayo.edu>
>Cc: markleeds at verizon.net, r-help at r-project.org
>Subject: Re: [R] alternative to logistic regression

Thanks to both of you, Terry and Brian for your comments. I'm not sure what I am going to do yet because I don't have enough data yet to explore/
confirm my linear hypothesis but your comments
will help if I go that route.

I just had one other question since I have you both thinking about GLM's at the moment : Suppose one
is doing logistic or more generally multinomial regression with one predictor. The predictor is quantitative
in the range of [-1,1] but, if I scale it, then
the range becomes whatever it becomes.

But, there's also the possibility of making the predictor a factor say by deciling it and then say letting the deciles be the factors.

My question is whether would one expect roughly the same probability forecasts from two models, one using the numerical predictor and one using the factors ?  I imagine that it shouldn't matter so much but I have ZERO experience in logistic regression and I'm not confident with my current intuition.  Thanks so much for talking about my problem and I really appreciate your insights.

                                 Mark