[R] RMySQL installation problem

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 15 22:24:22 CET 2007

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, Tao Shi wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I'm running R2.5.1 on WinXP.  Downloaded RMySQL_0.6-0.zip from http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.6/ and the installation seemed fine.  However, when I tried to load the package, the error occured:
>

>> utils:::menuInstallLocal()
> package 'RMySQL' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> updating HTML package descriptions
>> library(RMySQL)
> Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
>        unable to load shared library 'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-25~1.1/library/RMySQL/libs/RMySQL.dll':
>  LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.
>
> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'RMySQL'
>
> ## However, I can see the .dll file is there from window's explorer!!

The 'specified module' was specified in the popup!  (Windows' users should
be used to the arcaneness of the error messages.)

Assuming you actually have MySQL installed, you need to make sure
libmysql.dll is on the PATH.  It's in the mysql\bin directory, so
installing MySQL would normally put it on the PATH.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk