[R] how to assign a group mean to individual cases?

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Thu Nov 15 17:56:19 CET 2007

For the first question use ave along with mean like Gabor suggested.

For the second question (finding the mean with that value removed) you
can use ave with the sum function ("ave(x, group, FUN=sum)") to find the
sum rather than the average, then use ave again with the length function
to find out how many are in each group, then subtract your x value from
the sum to get the sum of all other values in the group and divide that
sum by n-1 (from using ave with length) to get the mean.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center