[R] Question about AGNES by Rousseeuw et al. in the package "cluster": How many clusters?

AUDE MARIE PLONTZ amplontz at students.latrobe.edu.au
Thu Nov 15 00:20:41 CET 2007

Dear all,

I am no stat wiz and I am just trying to use the AGNES algorithm at my
very modest level of statistical of understanding. I have difficulties
understanding the ouput from AGNES.  My question is: how to interpret
the output, especially how do you I know which cluster solution is the
best? In SPSS, an Agglomeration Schedule table is produced and I used to
look at the biggest jump between the error coefficients for each
agglomerative steps in order to find where to stop clustering. But with
the Agnes output I don't know what I should be looking at.

Thanks so much for your help,

Aude

Aude Plontz
Refugee Health Research Centre, Melbourne, Australia
Phone:
at home:
          +61 (0)3 9917 2134
at La Trobe University, Bundoora campus (every other Thursday):
          +61 (0)3 9479 3161 (desk, Martin Building, room 475,
consultation hours: 9.00am-11.00am, 1.00pm-5.00pm)
      or +61 (0)3 9479 5874 (Estelle Purchas, RHRC secretary)
at the Victorian Foundation for Survivors of Torture, Brunswick (on some
Wednesdays):
         +61 (0)3 9940 1567 (desk, Brunswick Business Incubator)
     or +61 (0)3 9388 0022 (Brunswick VFST reception)
Email:
amplontz at students.latrobe.edu.au  (email account checked once daily,
except when on leave)
audrus at freenet.de