[R] a very easy question, how to extract the name of the response variable

Eric R. ericr at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Tue Nov 13 11:01:40 CET 2007

This may not be the smoothest way to produce the result, but here is a
two-step solution:

first find the formula within the object created by the call to glm():

form <- qq["formula"] or equivalently form <- qq$formula

then apply the function all.vars() to the result, and return the first
element

variables.in.formula <- all.vars(form)

variables.in.formula[1]  #  will be the response variable