[R] Odp: cor.test() and binary sequences

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Tue Nov 13 10:24:01 CET 2007

andrew collier <digitalpenis at bluebottle.com> napsal dne 13.11.2007
07:39:39:

> peter, thanks for your help with my questions regarding cor.test(). i
have
> another question though: does this function make any assumptions about
the
> underlying distribution of the two sequences? does it assume that they
have a
> gaussian distribution?

Hi
for answering this question I would need to consult docummentation and/or
source code what you you can do also.

> i ask because the data that i am working with is two binary sequences.
just
> series of 0 and 1. will the confidence intervals and p-values generated
by
> cor.test() still apply?

I have no idea as I am chemist and I use statistics mainly for evaluating
my results. Therefore my knoledge of satistics are somewhat limited. If I
had a new problem which I had not solved yet I would took some statistics
textbook and try to find similar problem its solution and then I would try
to mimic it in R.

Regards
Petr