[R] Problem with R version 2.6.0

Michael Conklin michael.conklin at markettools.com
Fri Nov 9 20:15:07 CET 2007

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> This is of course not how the rw-FAQ suggests you make use of R, and
the
> best recommendation is to follow the FAQ's workflow.

The workflow recommendation that I read in the FAQ is:
2.5 How do I run it?
Just double-click on the shortcut you prepared at installation.

If you want to set up another project, make a new shortcut or use the
existing one and change the `Start in' field of the Properties.

I am wondering why this is the "best" workflow.  I work on several
hundred projects per year (R is definitely a production vehicle for us)
and can have as many as 20 going at the same time. Having a single
shortcut and changing the working directory on startup to the
appropriate folder (as opposed to changing the "Start in" property on
the shortcut) is much more efficient for me than creating a new shortcut
for a specific project. The beauty of R is that there are multiple ways
to do many things and the user can find the way that is best for him.

Michael Conklin