[R] R as a programming language

Alexy Khrabrov deliverable at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 23:56:57 CET 2007

With all due respect to the great book -- of which I own 2 copies I
bought new -- it's not an "O'Reilly Programming in <X>" book.  The
idea of a programming book like that is to thoroughly treat the
language from a programmer's standpoint, in a fairly standard way,
such as Ruby or Python.

As I'm learning more of statistics with R, I prefer to do it with the
book by Crawley.  Looks like most of R books are written by
statisticians who became programmers, not the other way.  Through all
those years I periodically follow R, I forget its programming spirit
in between, and there's no "Programming ..." book to help.
Statistics is hard to forget once you master it; syntax sugar melts
away...

"Programming with Data" is the closest to an O'Reilly, but more
advanced and esoteric than that.

Since R became a bona fide Open Source language with CRAN and all, an
O'Reilly book by a [Python and Ruby] programmer-turn-statistician is
long overdue!  If it systematically compares R with Ruby and Python,
its closest Open Source cousins, it would help even more.  RPy and
RRb are there to help, too.  Just my $0.01...

Cheers,
Alexy