[R] Using R for large econometric models

Pfaff, Bernhard Dr. Bernhard_Pfaff at fra.invesco.com
Wed Nov 7 10:11:50 CET 2007

Dear Dietrich,

in the first place, it would have been helpful to know which kind of econometric models your colleague wants to utilise. With respect to econometric methods you might want to have a look at the CRAN Task Views for econometrics and finance, to see what is already available:

http://cran.at.r-project.org/src/contrib/Views/Econometrics.html

http://cran.at.r-project.org/src/contrib/Views/Finance.html

>From a practical point of view, I have by now not encountered any size limitations; these experiences are gained from working with high frequency multivariate data in the finance context as well as simultaneous multiple equation models that are solved on a per period basis by applying the Gauß-Seidel algorithm; my colleagues are using R in the context of stock selection where on a daily basis multivariate time series data of more than 3,000 strocks are processed. We have not encountered any problems so far. Basically, the maximal data handling size is determined by your computer's memory and the style of your coding.

Best,