[R] Is it possible to modify the position of the graphic window ?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Nov 6 18:53:10 CET 2007

8rino-Luca Pantani wrote:
> I see.
> Thanks for your highly appreciated help, Prof. Ripley.
>

> I've been reading the x11 help file, only after people from this list
> told me that it is the default in Linux
>
> Please consider that I recently (and definitely) moved to linux from
> Windows, and I still need to re-learn a lot of things.
>
> I did'nt know that with "options" was possible to change the x11 windows.
> I typed the following, and it worked
> options(device= x11(xpos =500))
> moving the window on the left
> Now, if I'm allowed to push your patience a little further, how can I
> make this change permanent ?

Umm, I think that one only seemingly "works". It does the same as plain
x11(xpos=500) followed by options(device=NULL) (try removing the window
and then plot(0)).

More likely, you want
  options(device = function() x11(xpos=500) )
which you can handle using the techniques described under ?Startup (i.e.
stick it in a .Rprofile file, for instance).

(xpos=-1 might be better if you switch between different-sized screens,
though)