[R] Produce graph that looks nice on screen and on paper

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 14:14:26 CET 2007

On 11/6/07, Van Campenhout Bjorn <bjorn.vancampenhout at ua.ac.be> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I made a dotplot() with lattice, which comes out nice on the graphics
> device.  I can save this as a eps using postscript() and include this in
> a word document.  This prints nice, but does not look good on screen.
> If I produce a pdf, it is nice on screen, but not on paper.  How can I
> save a graph that looks nice on paper and on screen?

Although you haven't said so, I presume your 'paper' output is
produced by a black and white printer?

You have to define a "theme" (a collection of graphical parameters)
that is "nice" for both screen and paper. Once you come up with such a
collection of parameters, ?trellis.par.set should tell you how to set
them globally. If you want someone else to come up with such a list,
you are probably out of luck (but see ?col.whitebg for a not-very-good
approach).

-Deepayan