[R] Sending E-Mail from R

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Mon Nov 5 22:37:16 CET 2007

Josh Kalish wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Has anyone used R to send out an email via an SMTP server?  I run R from a
> script and would like to be able to send out an email from there also.  I
> could shell out to an email program, but was hoping maybe someone had a
> package for R or a smooth way to do it.

  I have a solution that seems to be 'better' (at least more self-contained)
than the blat solution ...  I've posted code at
http://www.zoo.ufl.edu/bolker/Rmail.R

  I'm not sure about security issues -- it does allow a password to be sent,
but I don't think it does anything with TLS/SSL etc -- at some point it
stops making
sense to keep re-inventing the wheel and interfacing to an outside package
makes more sense

  Ben