[R] Implementing R through Oracle

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Nov 5 22:11:46 CET 2007

jah wrote on 11/05/2007 02:41 PM:
> I have looked through all the ROracle documentation, R-help, R-dev, Googled
> the world and still cannot figure out this issue. Everything I read it is
> about connecting to an Oracle database and pulling data, processing it, and
> then pushing it back to Oracle. I am running in pl/sql code so I already
> have a Oracle session open. What I want to do is from Oracle call R. I am
> having a mental challenge in seeing how this can be done. Any words of
> wisdon?

I understand that one can write user defined functions for Oracle in
java, so you might be able to bridge over to R via the rJava package. If
you can write them in C, then you'll have the enviable task of embedding
R into Oracle using the OCI, since no package exists. Now THAT would be
a programming challenge.

Jeff
--
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/JeffreyHorner