[R] Odp: Permutation test, grouped data

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Fri Nov 2 15:59:03 CET 2007

Hi

r-help-bounces at r-project.org napsal dne 02.11.2007 15:16:37:

> I am perfectly aware that this question is not an R question, at least
> not yet, but I have not succeeded in finding what I want in other
> ways, so ...
>
> What I am looking for are two algorithms, preferabley in Pascal, but
> other languages may do.  For (a) systematic (complete) permutations
> for grouped data with unequal group sizes, and (b) random permutations
> for the same kind of data.  I know of one source: E. S. Edgington

I am not sure if it is what you want but

lll <- lapply(split(some vector, group vector), function(x)
sample(1:length(x)))

gives you a list of systematic permutation of the first vector in each
group and you can use it for subsetting your data.

for (i in no.of.groups) split(data, group vector)[[i]] [lll[[i]],]

Random permutation (if I understand correctly) can be constructed by not
exhaustive sampling so you can limit number of samples by size argument to
sample function.

Regards
Petr