[R] pdf() device uses fonts to represent points - data alteration?

Thomas Petzoldt Thomas.Petzoldt at tu-dresden.de
Thu Nov 1 20:18:47 CET 2007

Hello,

I had the same problem. When opening PDFs with a recent developer
version of inkscape all circles were replaced by the letter "q", see a
screenshoot of the imported figure:

http://www.simecol.de/figs/R_pdf_inkscape.png

I spent at least two hours trying different development versions of
inkscape, different versions of R, reading docs, trying different
machines, installing fonts etc., finally giving up. Now, the two
workarounds of Paul Murrell indeed solved the problem for *me*. Thank
you. Here are example results of workarounds (i) and (ii):

http://www.simecol.de/figs/R_ps_pdf_inkscape.png

or

http://www.simecol.de/figs/R_pdftrans_inkscape.png

One problem remains. I wanted to demonstrate post-editing PDFs with
inkscape to motivate students to use R for graphics even if they dont
want to "become programmers". However, double conversion (via
postscript) or the magics of transparency and opaqueness are not yet the
way to increase the trust of point-and-click users to R. Maybe this is a
topic for r-devel?

Thomas

--
Thomas Petzoldt