[R] problem with log axis

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Thu Nov 1 20:00:33 CET 2007

Ben Bolker wrote:

> plot(x,y,log="x")
> abline(r1)
> abline(r1,untf=TRUE,col=2)
> abline(r1,untf=FALSE,col=3)  ## ??
> lines(x,predict(r1),col=4)

  On second thought, I don't think this is a bug.
What "untf" is supposed to do is to transform what would
be a line in the original (untransformed) coordinate system
to the appropriate curve in the new coordinate system.
Thus, what it tries to do is to transform the naive line
y=a+b*x so that it shows up correctly in the transformed
coord. system (which is even worse).  (I do agree that this
is darned confusing when abline is applied to a linear model.)
Perhaps the bottom line is the abline(M) where M is a linear
model is a bit of a hack, and predict is better ...

  Ben