[R] http proxies: setting and unsetting

matt.pettis at thomson.com matt.pettis at thomson.com
Wed May 30 17:50:50 CEST 2007

Thanks... I'll give it a whirl...

matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Gabor Grothendieck [mailto:ggrothendieck at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:22 AM
To: Pettis, Matthew (Thomson)
Cc: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: Re: [R] http proxies: setting and unsetting

There is also a free program setenv.exe which is more powerful than
setx.exe.
You mentioned that deleting http_proxy from your environment through the
OS would fix your problem.  setenv.exe can both set and delete
environment variables and you can specify user, system, etc.  See
description and link here:
http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=4928

Grothendieck <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:
> One other point.  If you find you need to set a system or user
> environment variable then microsoft has a free tool called setx.exe
that you can find here:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927229
>
> You can do this from within R using system().
>
> On 5/30/07, Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/29/07, matt.pettis at thomson.com <matt.pettis at thomson.com> wrote:
> > > OK, I think I get that... do you know which namespace the
Sys.setenv() function affects?  Do you know if there are functions in R
that can alter the user/system/process environment variables?