[R] hierarhical cluster analysis of groups of vectors

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 29 14:56:48 CEST 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Anders Malmendal wrote:

> Thanks.
> The vectors are produced by PLS-discriminant analysis between groups and
> the vectors within a group are simply different measurements of the same
> thing. What I need is a measure of how the different groups cluster
> (relative to each other). (I assume that I can do some averaging after
> applying dist, but I can not  find the information on how to do it.)

I don't think anyone can tell you that: it is a matter of judgement.
What you need is a dissimilarity on your groups.

Assuming your vectors are numeric (you didn't say) you could use
Mahalanobis distance between the centroids, with within-group covariance
as the variance matrix.  Often that works well, but not always, and you
might prefer Euclidean distance between centroids, or minimum Euclidean or
Mahalanobis distance ....