[R] windows to unix

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri May 25 18:42:06 CEST 2007

    Erin> Dear R People:
    Erin> Is there any way to take a Windows version of R, compiled from source,
    Erin> compress it, and put it on a Unix-like environment, please?

Since nobody has answered yet, let a die-hard non-windows user
try :

Just 'zip' the corresponding directory and copy the zip
file to your "unix like" environment.

I assume the only things this does not contain
would be the
	- registry entries (which used to be optional anyway;
			    I'm not sure if that's still true)
	- desktop  links     to R
	- startup menu links to R

but the last two can easily be recreated after people copy the
zip file and unpack it in "their windows enviroment" --
which I assume is the purpose of the whole procedure..

{Please reply to R-help; not me, I am *the" windows-non-expert ..}

Martin