[R] Running R in Bash and R GUI

S.Hodgkinson at brighton.ac.uk S.Hodgkinson at brighton.ac.uk
Thu May 24 17:04:45 CEST 2007

I have been trying to get the R and package update functions in the
GUI version of R to work on my Mac.

Initially I got error messages that suggested I needed to set up the
http_proxy for GUI R to use, but how can this be done?

I eventually got to the point of writing a .bash_profile file in the
Bash terminal and setting the proxy addresses there.

I can now use my Bash terminal, invoke R, and run the update /
install commands and they work!

The problem that still remains is that in the R console of the GUI
R,  the http_proxy is not seen and thus I cannot connect to CRAN or
any other mirror using the GUI functions in the pull-down menus.

I get

 > update.packages ()
Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.uk.r-
project.org/bin/macosx/universal/contrib/2.5

Basically it still seems unable to access port 80.

Is there a way of solving this so that I can use both terminals
rather than just everything through Bash?

Thanks

Steve Hodgkinson

University of Brighton