[R] Segfault?

max.e.brown at gmail.com max.e.brown at gmail.com
Tue May 22 12:01:05 CEST 2007

Hello everyone,

I get (reproducible) segfaults when I try to update my packages, and
was wondering whether anyone knows why this might be happening.

I am trying to update my packages:
1. I start R via sudo in a terminal
2. I type update.packages() - a Tcl/Tk list pops up, I select a mirror
3. R segfaults.

Maybe I need to update to a newer version of R or something?

Slightly OT, but does anyone know where coredumps end up on Mac OS X?

Thanks.

Some details are below.
output:
-8<-----------------------------------------------------------
$ sudo R

R : Copyright 2006, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> update.packages()
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---

 *** caught segfault ***
address 0x5f4d4550, cause 'memory not mapped'

Traceback:
 1: download.file(url = paste(repos, "PACKAGES.gz", sep = "/"), destfile = tmpf,     method = method, cacheOK = FALSE, quiet = TRUE, mode = "wb")
 2: try(download.file(url = paste(repos, "PACKAGES.gz", sep = "/"),     destfile = tmpf, method = method, cacheOK = FALSE, quiet = TRUE,     mode = "wb"), silent = TRUE)
 3: available.packages(contriburl = contriburl, method = method)
 4: update.packages()

Possible actions:
1: abort (with core dump)
2: normal R exit
3: exit R without saving workspace
4: exit R saving workspace
Selection: 1
aborting ...
Segmentation fault

I am running Mac OS X 10.4.9 on Dual PowerPC G5, R 2.3.1.