[R] Making links in per-session dir

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 21 13:31:28 CEST 2007

The short answer is no.

When you say you have the 'hole R system installed', what did you mean?
This is not slow if you have all of R installed, but it might be if you
have all of CRAN installed.

But how do you know that is where the time is being spent?  You get a
message that it is making links, but not that it has finished doing so. I
think you will find it is the next step (make.packages.html()) that takes
the time.  On my system with all of CRAN and all of BioC installed, the
linking takes about 3s and the next step takes 20 (at a time it was
heavily loaded).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk