[R] [OT/R+MikTeX] WinAnsi.enc fonts not found by ghostscript by default [solved]

Peter Ruckdeschel Peter.Ruckdeschel at uni-bayreuth.de
Mon May 21 08:57:22 CEST 2007

Concerns: OS Win32 / R 2.5.0

Recently (IIRC not with R < 2.3.0), I had some problems including postscript
graphics produced in R into LaTeX with MikTeX [version 2.5.2574]:

yap, respectively GhostScript/GSView (versions 8.54/4.7 resp.) threw errors.

In fact, I realized this was just the same problem as reported in

    http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/06/06/28858.html

Apparently, by default, GhostScript did not find the corresponding fonts from
WinAnsi.enc .

---------------

Solution with MikTeX:

Copy the R afm-directory [in my setup to be found in $R_HOME/library/grDevices]
into a TDS-compliant own texmf root directory (see MikTeX 2.5 help, chapter 6),i.e.;
        [myroot]/fonts/afm/[R]
where [myroot] is (one of) your own texmf root directory/ies and [R] is an optional
subdirectory to afm, e.g. "R".
Then refresh FNDB (under MikTeX -> options).
This did the job for me.

I am not sure whether this is the preferred way to do, but I guess the R afm-fonts
will not be subject to frequent/substantial changes, so copying them from the $R_HOME
directory will probably not be too harmful with respect to upgrading to (subsequent)
new versions of R.

Any comments on this are welcome,

I hope this will be helpful to others as well

Peter