[R] Why a multi column, tab delimited file has only one column after reading in with read.table specification sep="\t"

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Mon May 21 00:33:53 CEST 2007

On Sun, 20 May 2007, Yong Wang wrote:

> Dear all:
> I have a tab delimited file as following

Probably you do NOT have a tab delimited file after all.

> AGE WEIGHT    PROTEIN   ........
> 6	20	3	........
> 8	39	4	........
>
> I tried to read it as following:
>
> data <- read.table(file,sep="\t",header=T);

What do

 	table( count.fields( file ) )

and

 	table( count.fields( file, sep='\t' ) )

tell you?

If the former gives the right number of fields, then you have white space
without tabs separating the data elements.

If they both tell you that you have only one filed in each line, your
lines quoted, perhaps.

Otherwise, can you "provide commented, minimal, self-contained,
reproducible code" as requested below to demonstrate this behavior??