[R] miktex 2.6 and R

Steven Lacey slacey at umich.edu
Sun May 20 13:46:35 CEST 2007

Hi,

I am new to Latex and in the process of installing miktex to work with R on
windows XP professional. From earlier posts, I see that fptex was the
preferred version, but it is no longer available. Now miktex is preferred.
However, there are known issues with finding the style files in version 2.4.
Fortunately, www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/mikitex.html provides a
series of workarounds. My preference is #4, which appears to be the most
straightforward. However, version 2.4 is no longer available from
www.miktex.org. Moreover, the file structure changed significantly in
version 2.5. For instance, the /localtexmf directory does not exist after
installation of miktex 2.6. I tried adding "c:/Program
Files/R/R-2.5.0/share/texmf to miktex 2.6's root path, but it returns an
error that the path is "not a TDS-compliant root directory". I am not sure
how to fix this problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve