[R] optional fields in function declarations

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Sun May 20 01:21:32 CEST 2007

Can you provide an simple example of what you want the function to do?

Generally, I set some value in the default.

raise <- function(x, power=1){ return( x^power ) }

 > raise(5)
[1] 5
 > raise(5,3)
[1] 125

Or you can do the same but in a slightly unclear manner.

raise <- function(x, power){
   if(missing(power)) power <- 1
   return( x^power )
}