[R] Is it possible to pass a Tcl/Tk component as argument to a function

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed May 16 15:18:25 CEST 2007

On 5/16/2007 8:58 AM, Hao Liu wrote:
> hi! All:
>
> I wonder if someone has done this before...
>
> I am writing several functions that conduct statistical analysis using a
> GUI interface by Tcl/Tk, they share many identical GUI components. What
> I am trying to do now is to simplify the code by writing a GUI
> repository for all the components they use, thus save effort for code
> maintenance.
>
> Since they all use:
>
> mainFrame <- tkcanvas(top)
>
> --
>
> I wonder if I can write functions that take mainFrame as an argument,
> and call those functions from other place with initialized tkcanvas
> object. I did not see example like this and from my *limited* experience
> with tcltk, I found it always need something to be initialized before
> put to use, that makes me wonder if this idea will work... if it does
> not, any work arounds? like using Macro?

I think your question is too vague.  Yes, you can pass your mainFrame
object to a function.  Will it work?  Well, that depends on what you do
with it.

Could you put together a small example showing the sort of thing you
want to do?  If it works, then you probably don't need to post a
question; if it doesn't, someone can probably point out what changes are
necessary.

Duncan Murdoch