[R] Package versions (was Reshape a sparse matrix)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 16 10:52:09 CEST 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Scott Hyde wrote:

> Thanks for the respons, Martin.  The program I wrote works as well for
> doing the reshaping, but it is nice to have it built in.
>
> Is there a way to tell what version of Matrix is installed, and how do
> we know when new releases are issued?  I installed Matrix fairly
> recently, and thought I was up to date.

library(help=Matrix)  shows you the version.

If you want it programmatically, one way is
packageDescription("Matrix" , fields="Version")

update.packages()     offers you updates.
(It is possible that the mirror you use has not got 0.99875-1 yet,
especially if this is a binary install, e.g, Windows or MacOS X.  E.g. the
Windows binary was only built yesterday afternoon.)