[R] Social Network Analysis

Tom Backer Johnsen backer at psych.uib.no
Sat May 12 23:44:21 CEST 2007

R-Netters:

for (partial sentimental reasons) I am at the the moment working on
some old data of mine (actually collected 40 years ago this year for
my thesis) covering development of of social networks in small groups
over time.  These data consists of signed and directed graphs.

Apart from the programs I write myself, I am looking for R functions
for computing what at that time was called "Structural Balance",
mainly to check on my own programs, where the results are almost to
good to be true.  I want to limit myself to cycles (semicycles?) of
length two and three.

I am aware of the "network" package as well as the "sna" which do not
seem to quite cover what I need.  On the other hand, the terminology
may have changed since I looked into the field 40 years ago.  I am
also aware of the Pajek program and the corresponding book by Nooy,
Mrvrar, and Batagelj.

Any other suggestions or pointers?

Tom
| Tom Backer Johnsen, Psychometrics Unit,  Faculty of Psychology |
| University of Bergen, Christies gt. 12, N-5015 Bergen,  NORWAY |
| Tel : +47-5558-9185                        Fax : +47-5558-9879 |
| Email : backer at psych.uib.no    URL : http://www.galton.uib.no/ |